This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more here

The Clayton West Branch Line

The Clayton West Branch Line (now the route of the Kirklees Light Railway) left the Penistone Line near Shepley Station and ran for just over 3 miles through Skelmanthorpe to Clayton West. Although the first sod was cut in November 1872, the line did not open until 1st September 1879. It closed on January 22nd 1983.

There are 20 items available in this category.


01 Joseph Kaye

02 Invitation

03 The End of the Line, Clayton West!

04 First Train on the Line?

05 Runaway Wreckage

06 Runaway Wreckage

07 Runaway Wreckage

08 Steam Through Shelley Cutting

09 Shunting Engine

10 Skelmanthorpe Station

11 Skelmanthorpe Station

12 Skelmanthorpe Station

13 Porter's Bill

14 Station Staff at Clayton West

15 Willie Pell of Scissett, Porter

16 Last Steam Train

17 Clayton West Station, May 1980

18 Diesel at Clayton West

19 Diesel at Clayton West

20 Diesel at Clayton West